Followers

Room 26

Sunday, October 26, 2008

An Opportunity for Jessi to Shine

In today's political atmosphere, we are very familiar with "Joe the Plumber" and his opportunities for financial independence. My reality, however, is concerned with Jessi, the student, who cannot speak English very well and his opportunities to learn. The student who just last week was pushed to tears because he could not do anything besides stare hopelessly at a test. Friday's reading session allowed him to fully participate in a discussion about literature. He worked independently without his teacher sitting next to him, which I'm sure he dislikes, and completed the assignment on his own.

My students participated in a modified literature circle discussion where everyone practiced the role of illustrator. They were asked to read the story independently, in either Spanish or English, and later illustrate a scene that would describe what they read. Jessi chose to illustrate an important scene from the story. When it was time for the group discussion, he described his illustration and gave a logical reason for choosing to illustrate that scene. A feeling of accomplishment was evident on his face. It was as if his demeanor was exclaiming, "Yes, I can do this, I did do this!"

Jessi's story is typical of other students' stories in my class. They have been able to participate in class discussions, work independently, and freely interact with peers in academically challenging materials. This bilingual unit has opened the door to access the curriculum for many of my students. On a personal level, it has left me with a feeling of accomplishment because at the end of my day, I know that my students walked away having learned something.

3 comments:

LothLorien Stewart said...

So much more relevant than Joe the Plumber, who by the way is a total tool. No pun intended. May Jessie the Student's needs be met by our next president! I sure know who I think would be a better student advocate.

Fergusons said...

I have had students in the same situations. Students who can think and come up with the most amazing things to talk about and who really just get it, but then the CST comes and they are classified into one of five groups based on a paper test, no discussion, no true assessment of what they really know. I love those days when I can come home and just know that my students actually learned something relevant to their own lives. Students are individual and their needs are varied. I realized last year that my students aren't going to remember me for teaching them verbs or that all sentences start with a capital letter, they are going to remember me for who I was and how I helped them. Jessie will remember you for empowering him!

Theresa Morris-Terry said...

What a wonderful sense of accomplishment Jessie must have felt. This is what it is all about, having a sense of worth and value---with that in place learning begins to take on meaning. Ish, you are providing rich and meaningful lessons in which your students can connect and participate. Congratulations on your success of giving so much to your students.